LibreOffice is the power-packed Open Source personal productivity suite for Windows, Macintosh, and GNU/Linux. It gives you six, feature-rich applications for all of your document production and data processing needs: Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math and Base. LibreOffice has a large and dedicated community of users, contributors, and developers that offer free user support and documentation. You, too, can get involved!
What’s outstanding about LibreOffice?
LibreOffice is a feature-packed and mature desktop productivity package with some really great advantages:
- It’s free – no worry about license costs or annual fees.
- No language barriers – it’s available in a large number of languages, with more being added continually.
- LGPL public license – you can use it, customize it, hack it, and copy it with free user support and developer support from our active worldwide community and our large and experienced developer team.
- LibreOffice is a free software community-driven project: development is open to new talent and new ideas, and our software is tested and used daily by a large and devoted user community; you, too, can get involved and influence its future development.
LibreOffice gives you high quality:
- The roots of LibreOffice go back 20 years. This long history means it’s a stable and functional product.
- Thousands of users worldwide regularly take part in beta testing of new LibreOffice versions.
- Because the development process is completely open, LibreOffice has been extensively tested by security experts, giving you security and peace of mind.
LibreOffice is user-friendly:
- You get a simple-to-use yet powerful interface that is easy to personalize – Microsoft Office users will find the switch easy and painless, with a familiar look and feel.
- LibreOffice is compatible with all major competitors’ file formats. You can easily import files from Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and many other formats, and can easily save to Microsoft Office and other formats when needed.
- LibreOffice is supported by a big worldwide community: volunteers help newcomers, and advanced users and developers can collaborate with you to find solutions to complex issues.
What does LibreOffice give you?
Writer is the word processor inside LibreOffice. You can use it for everything, from dashing off a quick letter to producing an entire book with tables of contents, embedded illustrations, bibliographies and diagrams. The while-you-type auto-completion, auto-formatting, and automatic spell checking makes difficult tasks easy (but are easy to disable if you prefer). Writer is powerful enough to tackle desktop publishing tasks, such as creating multi-column newsletters and brochures. The only limit is your imagination.
Calc tames your numbers and helps with difficult decisions when you’re weighing the alternatives. Analyze your data with Calc and then use it to present your final output. Charts and analysis tools help bring transparency to your conclusions. A fully-integrated help system makes entering complex formulas easier. Add data from external databases, such as SQL or Oracle, then sort and filter them to produce statistical analyses. Use the graphing functions to display large numbers of 2D and 3D graphics from 13 categories – including line, area, bar, pie, X-Y, and net. With the dozens of variations available, you’re sure to find one that suits your project.
Impress is the fastest and easiest way to create effective multimedia presentations. Stunning animation and sensational special effects help you convince your audience. Create presentations that look even more professional than the standard presentations you commonly see at work. Get your colleagues’ and bosses’ attention by creating something a little bit different.
Draw lets you build diagrams and sketches from scratch. A picture is worth a thousand words, so why not try something simple with box and line diagrams? Or go even further and easily build dynamic 3D illustrations and special effects. It’s as simple or as powerful as you want it to be.
Base is the database front-end of the LibreOffice suite. With Base, you can seamlessly integrate your existing database structures into the other components of LibreOffice or create an interface to use and administer your data as a stand-alone application. You can use imported and linked tables and queries from MySQL, PostgreSQL or Microsoft Access and many other data sources (or design your own with Base) to build powerful front-ends with sophisticated forms, reports, and views. Support is built-in or easily addable for a very wide range of database products, notably the standardly-provided HSQL, MySQL, Adabas D, Microsoft Access, and PostgreSQL.
Math is a simple equation editor that lets you lay-out and display your mathematical, chemical, electrical, or scientific equations quickly in standard written notation. Even the most-complex calculations can be understandable when displayed correctly, like E=mc2.
LibreOffice also comes configured with a PDF file creator, meaning you can distribute documents that you’re sure can be opened and read by users of almost any computing device or operating system.